Saturday, April 17, 2010

Artifacts and Characteristics of a Novice Teacher

If there is one thing that I have learned from my mentor teacher this year, it is that all students are able to learn and that a teacher should try everything he or she can do to try and get a student to learn. This falls under characteristic #4 which states "We believe the novice teacher should be a facilitator of learning for all students." The artifact I used for this looks like a simple worksheet that we use often in my Algebra Support Class, but its not the worksheet that is different but how I used it in class. Our Algebra Support class is a small class for students who have had trouble in mathematics and have been "passed along" through their classes. Through observation my mentor teacher and I have noticed that some students are fine with just a lecture and a worksheet but others are objective towards these methods and tend to disrupt class. We've noticed that these particular students will do the work if they are receiving a lot of attention, so we came up with a method that will keep everyone happy. The worksheet is designed for students to be working individually but also I would allow students to come to the board and work on them for the whole class. One student who is objective usually in class and rarely does work had a great time using this method and really started to learn in the class. This came about because my mentor teacher and I did not give up on the student and found a method that helps him to better understand the mathematics and enjoy doing the work. The worksheet was also good because a student did not have to do the boardwork if they did not want to, so they would be learning through their own way. I believe this covers characteristic #4 very well because we showed that all students can learn and it is the responsibility of a teacher to find ways to accommodate all students to learn.

2 comments:

  1. I remember you discussing this method in seminar small group on Friday. This is great example of Characteristic 4. You have touched on different modalities of learning and are allowing students to make choices. I especially like that you and mentor worked closely together on this method.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great artifact use,Mike. It is extremely important that we can make learning readily available to our students. You and your mentor working together to accomplish this is also really interesting and beneficial to the two of you and your students. Great work! It was a pleasure blogging with you this semester.

    ReplyDelete