Sunday, September 5, 2010

Weeks 1 & 2

My first two weeks have been great. My mentor teacher made me feel from day one that I was a part of the class already by making sure I was introduced in all of his classes. I felt this allowed for me to start out as an authority figure right away. Besides just making sure the students knew who I was, my mentor teacher makes me feel comfortable in his class because he is laid back like me and I don't feel any pressure from him. Throughout the past two weeks I feel I am becoming more familiar with all my students and they feel just as comfortable with me as their teacher as they would if my mentor teacher was teaching. We have had very little problems in the classroom currently with the exception of one or two students, so we have been able to get a lot of work done because the students are not being distracted.
After the first day I started helping out more by grading quizzes and checking homework everyday I'm there. I feel this has helped me a lot because I have full control over how many points the students get on their quizzes, and it is helping me understand how to grade better. Also I am becoming more keen about how students try and make it look like they did their homework and if they just copied answers from another student. During our planning period I have been making lessons for the future so I will be ahead of schedule when I start taking over his classes, which will be starting this week. Starting Tuesday I plan to take over two of his six classes and I am already prepared for the class until October with some open days to conduct my action research. Overall it has been a great two weeks and I believe it will continue throughout the semester.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mike! Thank you for inviting me to your blog! It's great that your mentor teacher helped you get off to a good start and that you are now actively instructing and evaluating students. You also seem to have set up a schedule that will allow for both teaching and observing which will come in handy for your inquiry project. You mentioned that some students are not completing HW on time. Have you considered what some reasons might be? What might you do to help students become more engaged with their HW assignments? Just some food for thought...Have a happy week!

    ReplyDelete